In today's social media-driven world, we are constantly bombarded with messages about "success." and "happiness". From new-age motivational gurus reciting podcast quotes with emotive music on TikTok to influencers peddling rigid morning routines on Instagram, there's no shortage of advice on the path to prosperity.
The problem is much of this advice is based on anecdotal evidence, half-truths, or even outright lies, leading to unrealistic expectations and potentially damaging and toxic self-perceptions, particularly among young people.
Many of these online "influencers" have discovered that emotional manipulation and fear of missing out (FOMO) are the most effective marketing strategies to sell their products and brands.
It's time to cut through the crap and debunk the myths that have become ingrained in our pursuit of success and happiness.
The notion that you have to wake up at 4:00 AM and start chanting mantras while simultaneously journaling is simply not true. These are strategies on their own but they fail to address the root causes of success and happiness, which are often deeply personal and intertwined with our individual circumstances, passions, and values.
The true measure of success and happiness lies in aligning our actions and behaviors with our values, leading to a life of authenticity and fulfillment.
Here are the top 5 principles for cultivating authentic success that have helped me:
- Personal Responsibility: Taking ownership and responsibility for our own choices and actions is the cornerstone.
- Self-Discipline and Loyalty: Staying true to our values and principles, especially when things go wrong is essential for building success and happiness.
- Meaningful Contributions: Helping others succeed and finding joy in their happiness is another true measure of personal fulfillment.
- Engaged Communities: Surrounding ourselves with supportive and like-minded individuals fosters a sense of belonging and provides a platform for mutual growth and inspiration.
- Consistent Positive Behaviors: Small, consistent actions, repeated over time such as , exercising regularly create a foundation for long-term success and well-being.
Let's stop falling for the toxic quick fixes, FOMO, and unrealistic expectations that social media perpetuates, all we are doing is making others wealthy at our expense.
Instead, let's empower people, particualy young people to cultivate self-awareness, resilience, and a genuine commitment to personal growth and the well-being of others.
Perhaps this is the real path to authentic success and a truly fulfilling life?